One of the reasons that people choose to store with us is that they’re selling their house, so we thought we’d scour the internet and round up some helpful tips for anyone staging their home.
We hope you find these useful!
- First impressions count – people will start evaluating your house before they even step inside so make sure the outside of your home looks welcoming too. Tidy up the garden if you have one, make sure your door is clean (i.e. doesn’t have any remnants of last year’s Halloween decorations on!) and clean your windows.
- Clear your home of clutter – you don’t have to throw away all of your belongings but by de-cluttering your rooms, you’ll not only make the house look tidier but you’ll make the spaces look larger.
- Similarly, people are interested to see how much storage you’ve got and it doesn’t look great if your cupboards and closets are filled to the brim. Aim to have about 20-30% space left in each area.
- Consider rearranging your furniture a bit – there’s a common misconception that by pushing all of your furniture against the walls, the room will feel larger but apparently floating them away from the walls can help the space feel more friendly and open.
- If you’ve got a spare room that you’re just using to store things in, consider moving those items into storage and setting the room up as an office or a reading room or something that people can envisage themselves using.
- Painting your room in neutral colours can help potential buyers picture what they could do with the room, it is also much easier for people to paint over neutral colours than to get rid of a bold colour – i.e. less effort for the buyers.
- Make sure everything works – if you have any lightbulbs that are out or clocks missing batteries, these are small things but they can look like you don’t care enough about the property to fix them.
- Find the balance between clean and lived in – make sure the house is clean and smells pleasant, if you have a pet, make sure to let some fresh air in – you might be used to the smell but potential buyers won’t be. Maybe invite a friend or neighbour over and see what they think.
- Remove any potentially controversial items and anything too personal – people like to imagine themselves in the space and this is hard to do if there are lots of family photos or anything that people might be offended by. These can take pride of place in your new home but might sway potential buyers’ minds.
- Fresh flowers is always a nice touch – if they’re from your garden, even better!
At Kiwi Self Storage, we offer flexible rental agreements and our minimum stay is only one month so if you need us, you know where to find us.
Call 0800 58 57 56 or visit our website for more information. We make storage easy.