As summer approaches, it’s a good idea to think about spring cleaning your unit and potentially swapping out your summer belongings for your winter ones. Put those skis away and retrieve your surfboards, store your winter clothes and rediscover your summer ones!
We recommend checking in on your belongings every so often while they’re in storage and a great opportunity to do this is during your annual spring clean. You might also want to swap around some of your items and store other things while you’re at it.
Here are a few tips:
- Set achievable goals – you don’t have to get it all done in one go and you’ll be more likely to complete the task if it doesn’t seem impossible.
- Be disciplined – we like to use the six-month rule, if you haven’t used it/worn it in the last six months, throw it away or if that seems too drastic, put it in your storage unit.
- Donate, recycle, reuse – If you decide to throw something away, take a moment to think about whether someone else might have use of it. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure after all.
If you aren’t currently using self storage, here are some of the benefits:
- flexible rental periods – we won’t tie you into long contracts, our minimal rental period is one month and you just need to give us two weeks’ notice when you’re ready to leave.
- range of unit sizes – we have a large variety of unit sizes at each of our facilities, give our friendly staff a call to find out which size is right for you and if there’s one available
- strong security measures in place – at Kiwi Self Storage we have CCTV, electric-perimeter fencing, individually-alarmed units and resident managers living on site.
- free use of trailers and trolleys
- access hours – you can enter your unit(s) freely between 5am-11pm, 24 hour access is available upon application.
Even if you don’t need it long term, self storage can free up space in your home, make decorating or renovating easier, be a safe place to store seasonal items, give you your spare room back…the list goes on and on because there are lots of benefits to self storage.
If you’re unsure where to start, give our staff a call on 0800 58 57 56 or visit our website for more information.
International travel is becoming increasingly more accessible, and a lot of our customers use our self storage facilities to keep some of their belongings in while they’re away. It’s also a great way to save money while you build or search for a new home. By putting your bulky items into storage, you can look at temporarily renting a smaller place until you find your next home, rather than having to find a place that can accommodate you and all of your furniture.
Either way, whether you’re off on your OE (overseas experience), taking a sabbatical, moving or looking to rent out your home, apartment or room through a company like airbnb, self storage can be a really convenient solution for you. We have flexible rental agreements – if your trip is extended or shortened, we can accommodate, we offer hassle-free insurance from NZI and our resident managers do lock checks of all units every day to make sure that your belongings are safe.
We always recommend that people store their items properly when they rent one of our units. This includes boxing whatever can be boxed and covering anything that can’t be, including mattresses, sofas, desks etc. with plastic covers. We sell all of these at our facilities and for more storage tips, check out our post about how to pack for storage.
It can be daunting, packing up your life and heading overseas whether it’s for a few months or a few years. Let us ease some of your worry and look after your belongings in our clean, dry, secure facilities until you get back. We make storage easy.
If you aren’t sure where to begin with self storage, the best thing you can do is call and speak to one of our friendly managers, they’re the storage specialists and they should be able to help you make sense of it all.
Give them a call today on 0800 58 57 56 or visit our website for more information.
As self storage can be a bit daunting, we thought we’d walk you through the process from start to finish.
First things first, locate your nearest storage facility. Once you’ve found it, either give them a call or pop in and speak to the staff. After all, they’re the experts at all things self storage!
Anyway, so you’ve decided you want to put some of your belongings into storage. Do you know how much space you’ll need? If not, try using our space calculator and size guide. These will give you an idea of how much space your belongings will take up but we always recommend that you visit the facility and ask to see the units. You might be surprised at how much you can fit into the units if you store upwards or add shelving (don’t worry, our staff can advise you on that too!)
When you visit the facility and decide to go ahead with the storage rental, you’ll be asked to fill out your details and decide whether you’d like insurance. Although the chances of damage to your belongings while they’re in self storage are small, we highly advise that you take out insurance. Ours is from NZI and is really good value, tailored, on-the-spot cover with no long forms to fill in, it may cost as little as a cup of coffee per month. You can also pick up any packaging that you might need from one of our on-site shops.
Our minimum rental period is 4 weeks and you can store with us for as long as you need to. If you find that you need to upgrade to a larger unit or downgrade to a smaller one, providing there’s a unit available, this process is simple. If there isn’t one, we’ll do our best to accommodate you. Our staff are here to help make the whole process easy for you so just ask them if you have any questions.
Once the form is completed, all you need to do is move in! You can borrow our trailer or trolleys if you need help moving your belongings, then you’re all set.
We make storage easy.